When I first came to Oswego and I was thinking about joining a sorority the first thing my mom said was “all you are going to do is drink”. She was very wrong. Joining a sorority was the second best decision I made. Of course going to Oswego was my first best decision. A lot of people stereotype members of Greek organizations based off of movies. Movies are the main reason Greeks get such bad reputations. Many people think that greeks are a bunch of jocks, dummies, and party people.
To join Greek life you must meet the GPA requirements, then you also have to obtain those requirements. Although the Greek life here at Oswego isn’t that big we make our presence known. Greek life is very involved on campus. When you are in Greek life you also participate in philanthropy events, fundraisers, community service, and much more.
Joining Greek life was a great decision here at Oswego. I met my forever friends and learned so many life skills. Being in a sorority has helped me network with alumni, find internships, and be my true self. Sure I know how to have a good time, but it is just so much more than that.
The time is coming close where you are looking to join a sorority. This may seem scary, but I am going to give you some tips to take the ease off you a bit.
- I highly suggest you research the sororities here on campus. All the national sororities here on campus are on social media. On this campus we have Alpha Epsilon Phi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Phi Sigma Sigma, and Sigma Delta Tau.
- The sisters in the sorority are just as nervous as you are. They don’t know you, and you don’t know them. The best thing to do is just have a normal conversation with a sister to break the silence.
- Do not just follow what your roommate is doing. If your roommate wants to join a different sorority than you, let her! At Oswego we are all friends. National Sororities are social sororities. You will be able to see her and hang out with her still.
- Honestly, be yourself. Don’t try to be someone you are not, or say something just to impress people. They will like you for you.
- Make sure you ask questions. You don’t want to join a sorority if it doesn’t fulfill everything you want.
Remember, research, be yourself, be outgoing, make your own decisions, and lastly, enjoy yourself!