Fifth Day of Practicum

My fifth day of Practicum went pretty well, because I actually got the opportunity to grade papers. They were just tests and quizzes, not essays or anything like that, but it was still good to be in those shoes. It was clear that my Host Teacher was trying to keep me busy, which is a good thing. I like being productive.

A student in one of my Host Teacher’s classes got snippy at one point, but I was very happy with how she responded. The student was upset because the teacher told her to put her math homework away, but the student said something back, and the teacher calmly wanted to know what the problem was. She discovered that the student was struggling to get the homework done in time for class because she didn’t understand it. However, overall, there was not a lot of interaction in the classroom, and a great deal of time is spent on handing papers back.

In all of her classes, she talked about a literary element – suspense. Additionally, the students listened to an audio recording of the Most Dangerous Game, and she walked around the classroom to make sure that they were reading along with the audiobook, saying that that way, they were making use of two senses – seeing and hearing. I think that her heart was in the right place, but I don’t really agree with the method, because it makes the mistake of assuming that all students learn the same way. That isn’t going to work for everyone, and at the end of the class, some even told her that they didn’t like it.

This week, I don’t have to go to Practicum because it is a half-day for Syracuse City Schools, but I will definitely be reporting back next week. I am going home this weekend, and then Halloween is Sunday, so I am really excited. Until then, take care, everyone, and stay warm – Winter is quickly approaching!

About the Author

Hey, I'm Christopher. I am currently a graduate student in the SUNY Oswego English program, and I am also a Desk Attendant in Sheldon Hall (where I am also living). I graduated with two degrees in May 2012 - English and Adolescence Education with a Concentration in English. I substitute-taught in Rome City School District fall 2012 and then came back to school in January 2013 in order to obtain a masters degree in English, which I plan to obtain in May 2014. I love to read, and I love TV shows, especially science-fiction and fantasy.
Email: ccook@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.