Five things I’ve learned by being a member of The Oswegonian:

Oswegnian stickers JPEG copy

Since freshman year, I have been writing for SUNY Oswego’s The Oswegonian. Writing for the college’s newspaper has been a rewarding experience that has helped me grow professionally. I currently am the promotional director of the newspaper and operate the social media of The Oswegonian. I also do various promoting through tabling and giveaways.

1. Deadlines exist for a reason. Frequent writers for the school’s newspaper may understand this more than others, but the lesson applies to all. With a limited timeline to have each of the newspaper’s creation processes completed, having articles in timely has proven to be of utmost urgency. During my time with the newspaper, I have had the opportunity to write multiple articles each week and be featured in both the paper and digital website and without deadlines the work that must go into addressing these multiple aspects and pieces could never get done.
  2. Commitment matters. While possibly never seeking a staff membership on The Oswegonian, one amazing aspect of the organization is the ability to rise in rank based solely on merit and weekly writing alone. Beginning as a contributing writer, and ending a year as a staff writer, while small, is a victory in and of itself.
  3. Writing can be enjoyable. While not necessarily the most newsworthy or pressing, the ability to write increasingly well through discussing topics you find energizing, helps in multiple ways. Firstly, writing skills will benefit you no matter what your future holds. Many careers expect strong writing skills. In addition, writing is good for the mind and can be stimulating and relaxing.
  4. Double checking of sources is key. Nothing is more embarrassing than not editing your work or rechecking your sources. Months ago, when writing about a music duo I really enjoyed, I failed to check their names after writing them into my piece, later that group that I had come to be obsessed with, actually tweeted at me to let me know that, while they appreciated my review, I had gotten one members name wrong. From what could have been an exciting moment for me, I experienced red cheeks and disappointment at my mistake.
  5. Becoming better is an endless, but rewarding process. While being “the best” at something is an entertaining and freeing time, understanding that you can always achieve greater skill levels will leave you feeling better in the long run. I feel as though The Oswegonian has taught me that I can always be improving and learning, no matter how good I get. It has helped me better understand and utilize constructive criticism and for this I am happy.

Hi everyone! My name is Riley Ackley and I am a junior public relations and political science double major. I'm involved in a couple organizations on campus including The Oswegonian newspaper(@TheOswegonian) and SUNY Oswego's very own improvisational comedy troop, Shaun Cassidy Fan Club (@SCFCImprov). I am also a Peer Educator for the Lifestyle's Center on campus and write for their blog (lifestylescenter.net) and also assist in programs like Open Mic! I have passions for photography and love comedy and all things pop culture. I can listen to my favorite artists all day and enjoy being able to be create.
Email: rackley@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.