Spring Broken!

Hello followers! It’s been a while since my last blog post (I’m crazy busy this semester-emphasis on crazy) and I just returned from a week in Ft. Lauderdale, FL with 6 of my best friends. It was incredible to get a taste of summer in the middle of March. Even though my trip was an absolute blast, it exposed me to some of the major health risks that come with the elevated temperatures and sunshine. We’re only 8 weeks away from freedom, so take notes on these obvious tips! You should really listen to them, I promise you won’t regret it!
Water
I cannot stress this enough and I know this seems pretty obvious but it’s easy to forget to grab a bottle of water when you’re focused on getting yourself out in the sun. When your body is dehydrated you’re not only thirsty but you’re functioning at a lower level of cognitive and physical performance.
Sunscreen!
Really. Just wear it. Spare yourself the ache of raw peeling skin and throw on some SPF! You have all summer to get tan and on top of that there are plenty of products that can help you mimic the tan that you have yet to build! Hope you all enjoyed your break as much as I did!
Alcohol Consumption
Be super careful whether you’re drinking at the beach or at a summer party. Alcohol dehydrates you to begin with and as I learned from “Toilet Talk” it can increase your risk of getting Sun Stroke.

Had I listened to my mother and all of my fantastic health science professors, my skin would not be peeling right now (though I don’t regret getting to go for a short run on the sidewalk along the beach!). All in all I had a great, safe trip and would go back in a heartbeat. Hope you enjoyed your spring breaks!

SUNY Oswego Seniors (Left to right) Tess Bierl, Kara Alheim, Laura Scaffidi, Heather Casey (Me!), Kelsey Harvey and Lauren Poggiali on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

About the Author

Heather Casey is a senior studying Broadcasting and Mass Communication with a minor in Health Science. She is spending her last semester at Oswego checking out all things health and wellness on campus and in the city! In her spare time Heather is an active member of the campus TV station WTOP as the Promotions Manager and a bi-weekly anchor on the evening news. She also writes for the online magazine HerCampus.com. Heather is always looking for new opportunities to highlight a nutrition, exercise, or wellness opportunity in Oswego, so feel free to email any suggestions for her upcoming web series Head2Toe at hcasey@oswego.edu
Email: hcasey@oswego.edu | Website: http://www.hercampus.com/heather-casey
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.