Winter Break

Slumber till noon
A momentous break from tests, group meetings staff meetings

Forever trapped in your own responsibilities
Wrapped in your 9-5pm
Held by the contraints of am’s and pm’s

I thought I’d start this blogpost with a little poetry. So I have been on break for two weeks now, and I must say, it has been one of my most favorite. Now I’m not saying it’s been loads of fun, but this marks the first break where I’ve been able to end my long relationship with my bed and my tv. I applied for a bunch of no profit internships in hopes of being able to help out during the winter break. I knew my chances were even lower because I would only be available to work for 2.5 weeks.

I got an email back from CITYarts, Inc. CITYarts is a no profit organization that empowers kids by helping them create large scale mural projects throughout the world. One of their slogans is “If kids create, they will not destroy.
For the two weeks there, I have been working on creating a Social media plan for future interns so they have a clear and concise way to use social media. I also worked on a video advertisement project for them to be published on their youtube account. I am proud of the work I did for them in this short amount of time. This truly inspired me that many things are possible if you just find the right people!

Christopher McPherson is a senior double major in creative writing and journalism. His interests include photography and student involvement.
Email: cmcphers@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 thoughts on “Winter Break

1. Do you have pictures of the murals they worked on? I’d love to see! I wanted to open a youth center that was heavily centered on music and art. Maybe someday it will still happen. Glad you took the time to volunteer, that’s great!