Sweet Summertime

I’ve moved into my apartment in Oswego! It’s the cutest little apartment, just right for me, myself and I. I’ve spent the last week decorating (buying some things I probably didn’t really need) but I purchased all the necessities. I have an extra bedroom that I turned into ‘my office’. When I’m in there… I’m doing business as my mom would say. I’m not allowed to have pets which kind of makes me sad because I LOVE animals but the more I think about it, I won’t be home that much. It wouldn’t be fair to them to be alone most of the time. Some things have gone wrong, the refrigerator blew up at me when I was cleaning it last week, sparks flew, very scary! But my landlord is taking care of it. The light bulb blew, that was all. The shower is either scolding hot, or freezing cold. But if I play with the nozzle the temperature adjusts to just right. It wouldn’t be a new apartment if something didn’t go wrong, right?!
I still can’t believe that I’m living on my own, paying bills, cooking my own meals and everything else that comes along with living alone. I spent two years on campus. I met so many great people in the residence halls I lived in. Now that my class load is getting a little bit tougher and I’m taking two extra classes which puts me at an overload, I just need my own space. Sharing a room with someone I didn’t know was a great experience I learned a lot about myself but it does get tough sometimes.
Another reason I moved off campus is because I’m looking at grad schools out-of-state and I figured I need to learn how to cook and manage money and things of that nature by myself; where mom isn’t going to be there to cover my butt quite as easily.
It’s been a great experience so far. I never really saw the beauty of Oswego in the summer because I’ve been busy with orientation the past two years. It’s nice being able to go to the farmers market and just sit out at the lake and relax, go running, visit some little shops and other things. It’s been great.

I'm a junior Public Relations major with a minor in psychology. I work with the new student orientation programs over the summer and the fall semester as a Laker Leader. I'm a member of the indoor and out door varsity track team. I throw shot put, discus, hammer, weight and javelin. I'm from a very, very little town called Atlanta, New York. It is about 30 minutes south of SUNY Geneseo. I really like art and music. I have quite a creative side and I really enjoy new things!
Email: wetherby@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 thoughts on “Sweet Summertime

1. AHH congrats Lizz! You’re gonna love being out there on your own! I hope this year goes so well for you, just remember to HAVE FUN!!

love love love,
    Your future Sister in Law. 😉

2. I think getting a jump on the living-on-your-own thing during college really helps. At least there’s a transition, what with still having a regular course schedule and jobs/internships and whatnot. It also leads to an inherent ability to figure out where the best sales of ramen noodles are.

3. Nice post!
    I was wondering.. I’m going to be a senior next year, and I wanted to get my own apartment, where is yours? Is it super expensive?
    Just wondering..

Keep up the posts, and good luck with the year 🙂

4. Hi Katherine:
    Well, it all depends on your landlord and if you plan on sharing a house with anyone. I lucked out and got a nice refund from financial aid:) But, there are always other options such as taking out a loan or just working really hard and saving all your money to get a house.
    I live rather close to campus so it’s a short commute for me. I feel much more organized because I get all my school books together the night before with a little check list so that I’m prepared for classes. I almost feel as if I’m in elementary school again. But it has helped me alot with organization and time management, although I’ve always been rather adequate at them both, it has just reinforced it.
    Any way, best of luck to you in finding a house for next year, let me know if you need any suggestions on land lords or anything! And thank you for the compliment!