Going from living at home to the dorm life, is one of the biggest adjustments when coming to college. Here are 5 tips and tricks to think about when looking for a roommate:
- Chat with multiple people in the Facebook group. This is where you can have small talk and get to know others. Don’t settle for the first person you talk to just because you’re nervous. You have time to figure it out.
- Discuss interests and hobbies. It is always nice to live with someone who is similar to you. This will make it easier to figure out activities to do during the week and on the weekends.
- Figure out how they live. Ask when the go to bed, when they wake up, if they are neat or messy, whether they like going out or staying in, etc. Asking these questions can help you figure out if you two have the same ideal living situation in mind.
- Meet up! If you live close to a potential roommate, schedule a time and place to meet one another. If you don’t live close to each other, try to pick the same orientation date.
- Connect with them! The glory of having social media is that you can connect with anyone on a variety of different platforms. Add each other on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, etc., this can give you a better idea of who they are.