Finalizing Women’s History Month

In my prior post, I explained how I wanted to venture out of my regular routine and attend some programs that promoted women. It proved harder than I thought because of my busy schedule. This weekend I did get to attend the Women’s Center’s final event to culminate a final celebration of women:  The Royal Dinner.

The dinner was held at Hewitt Union Ballroom and was adorably decorated. Everyone was dressed impeccably. As one of the co-directors required, everyone was to come dressed in what they defined as royalty attire. The food was widely liked. And the performances were off the chart amazing. If I had to single out my top three (which was hard to do) I have to applaud the SUNY Oswego Gospel Choir they literally sounded heavenly and divine. They were super on point. I cannot recall her name, by there was a young lady who recited two spoken word poems that just left me mesmerized. Her emotion and word play skills left me kind of speechless. Her poem dealt with themes and obstacles that almost every woman has to combat and go through.  I had to go up to her and commend her on sharing such a moving performance. Lastly. the event hosted recording artist Taina Asili and her band in a box. I had never heard of her before but by the end of her performance I knew I wouldn’t forget. She did an incredible job explaining the backstory of her songs. The instrumentals had everyone dancing in their seats. Most notably to me, she incorporated a lot of Hispanic influences that I identified with and enjoyed in her art form.

The event came to an end with the giving out of raffle prizes, awarding certificates to prominent students in the audience and organization, and the naming of the new president of the Women’s Center. There was soo much love and joy in the room. Although, I wasn’t an eboard member nor a regular attendee it was such a wholesome and warm environment I felt just as excited and moved by the achievements of practically strangers. But I can tell a lot of hard work was put into this event and the organization in general. I’m glad I was able to cover it for the SUNY Oswego Instagram page and share the event with the page’s followers because it was definitely worth watching and attending. By far the best Women’s History Month for me.