Let’s talk about breakfast!

Let’s talk about breakfast; it’s my favorite meal of the day! Not only that, it’s so important too. What you eat in the morning can dictate what you eat for the rest of the day without you even realizing it. Here’s an example: Cereal is a quick and easy breakfast, but it’s also loaded with lots of sugar. The serving size is typically small, at least in my opinion. If you’re not correctly measuring out the recommended serving size, you may be ingesting a lot more sugar than you know. Now, everything is okay in moderation right? Yes. But if you are having cereal for breakfast every morning, you might want to opt for some other breakfast options and switch it up.

So, as mentioned above, cereals can have a lot of hidden sugar. When you wake up in the morning, your body has been fasting for at least eight hours and probably even more for a lot of people. If cereal is what you grab for right in the morning, you are going to spike your blood sugar levels. When people think of blood sugar, they often think of people with diabetes. People with diabetes definitely have to be more cautious of this, especially in the morning, but so do people living without diabetes. What this blood sugar spike means for people without diabetes is you are going to be hungry very soon again and you may crave more sugar throughout the day.

That being said, you may be wondering what you SHOULD eat for breakfast. I don’t eat cereal for breakfast; it’s just not enough. And I know I will be hungry again shortly after. Instead, I opt for breakfast options that contain complex carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats. I rotate through these breakfast ideas throughout the week, and they keep me full and focused well until lunch time. Here are some examples:

• 2 eggs with mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes on a whole wheat wrap
  • A whole wheat bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese
  • Slow-cooked, rolled oatmeal with almond milk, berries, peanut butter and chia seeds

These are not the end-all be-all choices, but they are healthy and satiating; feel free to give them a try. You won’t be disappointed! If you’re not convinced, here’s a picture of my omelet from a while back: