Everyone has heard it before: breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Is that true though? The answer is both yes and no, because there is no perfect way to eat for everyone. Studies have shown those who eat breakfast are more likely to have more energy, have long-term health benefits, and reduce risks of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. That being said, if you aren’t hungry in the morning and eating breakfast doesn’t make you feel good, you have to listen to your body and honor your bodies hunger signals.
Here are some healthy breakfast ideas that are quick and easy with five ingredients or less for your busy morning that will keep you full and satisfied:
- Whole wheat toast topped with natural peanut butter, bananas and cinnamon
- Oatmeal with fruit
- Eggs: scramble with veggies such as spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes for extra color and fiber
- Avocado toast: top with an egg for extra protein!
- Smoothies- peanut butter banana, berry, green smoothie, tropical… There are so many options!
- Greek yogurt, fruit and granola
- Breakfast burrito- scrambled eggs with cheese and salsa in a tortilla, add black beans for extra fiber and protein
If you love traditional breakfast meat like bacon, sausage, or ham, look for healthier swaps like turkey bacon or chicken sausage, which will be lower in fat, calories and sodium.
If bagels are your vice, try going for whole grain options which will digest slower and will help you feel more energized and full until your next meal.
Breakfast can be as fun as you make it, switch things up and try new foods to figure out what works best for you!