Mama’s Remedy for Stress: “Quit Complaining!”

As this semester is drawing to a close, you probably find yourself beginning to think:

Will my GPA be above a 2.0?

Will my life be the same without Derek (a random name for a potential boyfriend) living just a hall away from me?

Will my roommate and I still say “Hi” to each other even if we no longer room together?

Will professors ever understand that the reason they were a student before they were a professor was so they could advocate for
us when our grades get low?

If you weren’t thinking any of these things, then that’s okay. I was just guessing.

As the semester draws to a close, the truth is worrying and stress are two problems of many that you want to avoid. I know, I know…duh.

Still, here’s a practice that you can practice. Should practice. Must practice. I’m saying this because a friend of mine actually put this into practice and it was a success, which therefore makes it a legitimate practice.

PRACTICE: Not complaining.

Seriously, go through your day without complaining. Let me be more specific for ya.

DO NOT complain about your 10-15 or 20-40 page paper

DO NOT complain about getting fired from your job

DO NOT complain about the dining halls not serving Eggnog (I don’t care if Thanksgiving hasn’t started yet?)

DO NOT complain about your professors, advisers or bosses

DO NOT complain about this blog

DO NOT complain anything

Mama always told me, “Tian, you can waste your God-given time whining about how much you don’t want to do your homework or get up out of bed for work, but in the end the homework will still be there, as will your job [for now]. Hang up the phone and get to it.”

I love you, mama!

Hey I'm Tian (T-ann). It’s fancy like that. I'm a junior here at SUNY Oswego and a Public Relations major and Creative Writing minor. I live in Westchester County, but Oswego is my home away from home.
Email: tburte@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.