A Self Titled Life- I’m Not Ready To Say Goodnight (Day 6)

So there was this crushing weight on my shoulders all day today. One might think it was the crushing dread that today is my last day in Rome but actually I was carrying an elephant on my shoulders all day. Beautiful creatures, but damn are they heavy. Sadly, today was my last day in Rome, but not my last day ever. That is unacceptable. So it is simply my first last day.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.36.25 PM

I went into a book store today and found the Diary of a Wimpy Kids books in Italian

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.36.36 PM

Just a page of the book.

My first last day started on a walk to visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It reminded me of the White House but it is so much more immaculate than the White House that the White House is irrelevant in comparison. How many times can I say White House in one sentence? WHITE HOUSE WHITE HOUSE WHITE HOUSE. There like a bazillion statues that are obviously a total artistic letdown like everywhere else in the city. Obviously.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.30.37 PM

This building is massive.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.31.10 PM

It seriously reminds me of a cool, detailed, enormous White House.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.31.40 PM

This statue sits on top of the building and it’s green but the sun was right in my camera but I like the shadow effect.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.31.27 PM

These things were built with none of the technology we have today. It’s unbelievable.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.32.44 PM

ANOTHER picture with this great human on the top of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Then we went to see the Roman Forum which is a collection of ancient Roman ruins. They were pretty interesting. Tip- If you go to the Forum and purchase a ticket to visit inside, you can buy a double ticket that is also a ticket to see the Colosseum which is just down the street. Most important part of the tip- this ticket gives you a skip the line pass at the Colosseum which is at least a two-hour wait. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that these structures were build and then considered ruins before the US was even an idea.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.33.35 PM

A temple in the Roman Forum.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.33.50 PM

An old sign/rock wall/ I’m not sure what it is but I thought it looked cool.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.33.22 PM

Caesar’s ashes are in the Roman Forum.

We revisited the Colosseum but this time it was during the daylight. Standing inside the Colosseum is breathtaking. It’s so hard to imagine people used to come there for entertainment that was something other than television. Being there gave me the feeling that this place was more than just an enormous structure. People spent their real lives in there, it’s not just a chapter in a textbook or part of some documentary your teacher makes you watch and then tells you to take notes. It was amazing to stand in something so impactful. Rome is so much more than an average city in the world. It is alive. Through the people, the architecture, and the curious humans all over the world. Rome has this funny way of being old while still influencing lives everyday. It is a city built-in the past but is still present in the future.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.37.01 PM

I really had no idea what to expect when I first walked inside.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.34.33 PM

I could stare at this for hours. It looks so intricate.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.35.54 PM

The upper seating is completely eroded.

11086265_10203939077666396_465072229_o

Panoramic taken by Sarah

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.34.45 PM

From the bottom up.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.35.44 PM

Katie was the first new person I met in this class and I know she reads these blogs so shout out to you for being great and having the guts to do this trip! I think that’s incredibly awesome.

After my life was changed forever, we had a free day to wonder/shop/pretend tomorrow wasn’t crushing my soul. At 7:45 pm we met Professor Alessia at Repubblica station on the subway. He took all 32 of us students and his wife to a really nice restaurant for dinner. It is a tradition. The first day of class he told us that on the last day everybody comes together to celebrate the last day and everybody gets drunk. Every time I ate something on this trip I was convinced it was the greatest thing I had ever eaten. Boy was I wrong. We had a fourteen course meal. Let me emphasize that for a dramatic flare. A. Fourteen. Course. Meal. It started with 7 appetizers which were salami, chickpeas, beans, peppers, baked zucchini, vegetables in sauce, and fresh mozzarella that was so good I will not eat mozzarella again unless it tastes like it did tonight.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.37.30 PM

The meat basket.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.38.34 PM

Things look a little scarce but I was eating as they were coming one at a time. 

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.37.41 PM

The BEST and most FRESH mozzarella I have ever eaten.

Then was the pasta courses and there were three. The first was a spicy pasta (it was delicious), the second was spaghetti with mushrooms (it was delicious), and the third was ravioli (which was, you guessed it, disgusting. Gotcha. It was delicious.) Then was the meat plate which was baked chicken. Then salad which seemed ironic after all the foot I was just offered. Then was dessert and finally drinks. The meal was four hours long but really it felt no more than twenty minutes. I was surrounded by so many wonderful people that I could have stayed for days before I even realized how long I was there for. As much as I don’t want to go home I feel like there wasn’t a better note to close this trip on then this dinner. Plus- I will never have to eat American food again because I’ll probably be full for the rest of my life. It’s a win-win for everyone.

11073214_10203939070906227_565895496_n

The place that ruined all food that is not Italian for me.

11075212_10203939067506142_1560513678_n

It’s like the Michelangelo painting that I am obsessed with.

11081530_10203939086146608_562357515_n

Picture with the Roomies, Prof. Alessia and his wife after dinner.

This is a really special place. I’ve learned so much here in such a short amount of time. For someone who hates history- to was fascinating. All of it. Utterly amazing.

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.38.57 PM

I’m not sure what this building is but it’s right on the subway exit and it’s one of my favorites.

Since tomorrow is technically my last day I will be posting my sentimental post tomorrow. My plane leaves here at 10 am which is 5 am US time. I don’t want to leave. It is going to be excruciating to go back to Oswego because 1. I don’t want to 2. My classes are irrelevant and 3. I don’t want to 4 I can’t get out of bed and 5. I aggressively don’t want to. We averaged 7 miles of walking each day. My feet are going to fall off on the flight. I’ve accepted it. I’ll have to crawl to class. People will look out the window’s and “say oh my god is she hurt? No.. that’s just Ally dragging herself to class on her knees. What’s that? Oh that’s the puddle of her tears.”

Screen Shot 2015-03-20 at 9.37.17 PM

Have a Vespa that matches your personality.

Well this has been a great first last day. I’ve done and seen so much. I’m trying to figure out a way to “accidentally” hide in the overhead compartments and fly back to Rome with the plane. Oh! ‘m moving to Florence! NEGATIVE ATTITUDES AREN’T INVITED, MOM.

I guess that’s all for now. We’re getting down to the wire. I’m not a fan.

Stay Weird.

Ally

Current Wish- the semester would be cancelled because no one wanted to teach anymore or aliens took over the school. Either one works for me. Your choice.

PS- I have to be awake in an hour and I should have been asleep an hour ago but right when I finished the blog and went to add the pictures the whole thing got deleted. I had to start over but I’m determined to finish it. DO IT FOR THE BLOG.

About the Author

Hey. Hi. Hello. My name is Ally and this is my blog: A Self-Titled Life. I took a Buzzfeed quiz to discover my Disney life motto, and my answer was "Adventure is out there". So, that is my title. Adventurer. I'm not a scholar or a poet, but I am excited to share my perspective with anyone willing to listen (or read, I guess.) Follow your heart. Chase your wildest dreams. Trust your gut, & always remember that everyone has a story.
Email: acostanz@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.