A Self Titled Life- Black and White Re-runs (Day 9)

I woke up this morning with the goal of ditching the city life in Tokyo. It’s a cool city, don’t get me wrong, but it’s too much like any other city. It’s has lots of people, buildings, cars, but not the dirt. I realized the other day that the streets don’t even have as much as a cigarette butt on them. There also is an extreme lack of garbage cans. And by extreme lack I mean none. Another side note- there are hardly any benches here. There’s nowhere to just sit and rest for a minute. Sometimes I’m so tired I genuinely consider laying on the sidewalk 1. because there’s nowhere else for me to go 2. it’s clean and 3. no one can stop me.

FullSizeRender_1 copy

This entire country looks like ‘Divergent’. I won’t let it go. I refuse, I refuse, I refuse.

Out of ten days, today was the only day it rained. We got pretty lucky.

IMG_1004 This is a video of what the train station music is. The little jingle I talked about. It sounds like it’s straight out of Mario Cart. It works best if you right-click the link and open the link in a new window.

So we went to Old Tokyo (at the request of the bassist we met last night in Starbucks.) It really was the raddest place. It was local shops and bakeries that lined the streets. Walking around was like going back to what Tokyo would have been like 40-50 years ago. The first shop we went into was dedicated to cats. Excuse me, it was fantastic. I went into a bakery and ate this asparagus and bacon pizza that probably changed my life for the greater good. Old Tokyo was filled with all the things I hoped I would find while in Japan. I found vases, tea cups, and even wooden painted earrings (which I didn’t exactly imagine prior to coming to Japan, but what are you going to do.) It was filled with things that are a little out-of-place and unique. Walking around the streets was like escaping what is to become apart of what was.

FullSizeRender_4

We were in this little tea shop and found Twisty the clown.

FullSizeRender_3 copy

There is one vending machine for every four people in Japan. I just happened to stumble upon one with Dr. Pepper.

FullSizeRender-10

This was someone’s walkway up to their front door.

FullSizeRender_2 copy 2

Stopped in this delicious bakery (with the pizza) and it had all of these superhero figurines. Lights would love it here.

Passed by this shop with hundreds of lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Geez, it was beautiful.

FullSizeRender_2 copy

The cemeteries are just really impressive here.

FullSizeRender_1 copy 2

This sweet woman worked in the bakery we stopped in. When we asked for her picture she just giggled and couldn’t believe we wanted her picture.

FullSizeRender copy 2

Street view of Old Tokyo.

After leaving the 1950s, we took a train to Takeshita Dori which was this giant outdoor shopping mall/street/hoopla of people. I think a lot of the things you could buy there you could probably find in a lot of places. It was more for commercial shopping. BUT they did have a sweet sock store where I did, in fact, buy some pretty nifty sick ass socks. I’m pretty stoked about them.

FullSizeRender_3

Just a casual street sign.

FullSizeRender_1

We stepped foot in the most MASSIVE Starbucks I have ever seen. It was enormous. This was just a small section of the outdoor patio. Claire, we’re moving.

FullSizeRender_2

The view for the customers was of the downtown city. We saw the store because of the logo imprinted on the windows six stories up.

What I liked about Takeshita Dori wasn’t the shopping, but the place itself. It seemed like the only place I’ve seen in Japan where people seem to let their hair down. People seemed to walk a little more to their own beat instead of the same beat as everyone else. Also, their was a lot of street art all around. Street art is my favorite kind of art, especially to take pictures of. It was almost like visiting a little piece of America while still being in Japan.

75

It’s hard to tell but this sign looked like it was made out of thousands of balloons.

FullSizeRender

This is amazing to me.

FullSizeRender_3 copy 2

This actually might have been in Old Tokyo but I’m not positive.

FullSizeRender-11

This was actually the first piece of art I saw.

IMG_0981 Walked by a store and I was SO excited to hear Fifth Harmony all the way in Japan. That’s all this video is. If you open it I would again,be best to open the link in a new window.

It’s pretty hard to believe this was my last full day here. Sometimes I go on trips and they fly by so fast I feel like I never even left home at all. This trip wasn’t that way at all. We’ve been gone for ten days but it feels more like 10 months. It seems like 30 years ago that I spoke at the symposium which is crazy because I’m only 20. On the other hand, it seems like just yesterday I was on that airplane pretending I wasn’t crying over every movie I watched. I feel like I was able to see so many incredible things, meet so many people, and learn so much about a new place that I didn’t have time to think about all the time passing by. This trip and this place was worth every second of time spent feeling like coming to Japan was just a simple thought or a shot in the dark.

68

My people in Japan.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 7.44.05 AM

Google Japan. It’ll be so strange not to see this for a long time.

Took a shower and the window of mirror in front of the sink was designed to resist fog. Japan is on point 300% of the time.

Stay Weird.

Ally

Current temperature- I’m sweating to death in this sweatshirt.

Hey. Hi. Hello. My name is Ally and this is my blog: A Self-Titled Life. I took a Buzzfeed quiz to discover my Disney life motto, and my answer was "Adventure is out there". So, that is my title. Adventurer. I'm not a scholar or a poet, but I am excited to share my perspective with anyone willing to listen (or read, I guess.) Follow your heart. Chase your wildest dreams. Trust your gut, & always remember that everyone has a story.
Email: acostanz@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in International, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.