Humans vs. Zombies: Second Half of the Week

This game is just loads of fun when you can just message your friends who are zombies as well within the game. You guys can meet up in the middle of campus and look for blue headbands. We sometimes have misinterpreted people thinking they were playing. For example, some people would be wearing blue headbands for design to hold up their hair or have their hair dyed in blue. As zombies we had to think up of strategies on how to tag a human. It is estimated that it takes two zombies working together in order to tag one human. However, we had some poor communication, seeing as most of my friends are playing this game as their first time. Many humans outsmarted us, even one human was able to stun four zombies, so I suggest giving that man an award. Another human even posted on YikYak, a mobile app where you can post messages anonymously to people nearby your location. He posted, telling every zombie to meet him in the quad and for everyone to watch the show. He took on so many of us, roughly seven or eight zombies until two zombies distracted him to have one run by and tag him from the back.

Day 3, Wednesday: Today started out on a funny note when I went to go eat lunch with friends and we sat alongside another group of people playing the game and they had blue headbands on. I noticed this, put my red headband on, and greeted them. It was funny how jokingly ironic that moment was: a zombie and human eating lunch on the same table. After lunch, I went to go play billiards with friends and I saw a friend walking by us, placing her headband on, then she saw mine. She then mentioned how she thinks it would be a better idea if she drove to class, which she did. However after she left after 2 seconds, I remembered the parking lot is still a considerable distance from Hart, so we ran until she reached the parking lot. I actually stopped running when I saw another zombie run passed me already trying to get her. That was probably the reason why she decided to switch paths from heading straight through campus center. I was upset we couldn’t tag her at the time since she didn’t have her NERF gun. Later on when the mission began, zombies had more of an advantage in both numbers and the fact that we had a super zombie in our team for the mission. This super zombie uses the swimming pool noodles to tag a human, however it only stuns the human for 5 seconds, thus giving the zombies a chance to tag that human. Also zombies had a shortened time period of being stunned, which was 60 seconds. The chances of humans winning were small, but possible and record breaking. The mission started with roughly 40 humans and 40 zombies and ended as too many humans abandoned and ran away due to many of them getting tagged. There were at least 10 humans left of the ones who participated. Zombies won the mission and thankfully I get to stay in the game because when zombies when, they don’t have to feed on humans the next day. The requirement was for humans to sign in at the campus center in order for them not to “starve” and zombies have to feed on a human every 48 hours so they don’t starve.

Day 4, Thursday: Oh my it’s been a year since the last time I got tagged walking out of campus center walking to a Shineman class. Time flies and so does this game when you’re having so much fun. Today is the day the humans have to sign in at campus center in order to stay alive. As a zombie, me and friend would hang around the center of campus by the field and spot humans after our classes end up until the next one starts. There was a point in the day when we found a human hiding at a corner and a couple of zombies were just surrounding her rather than just going in to try and tag her. I told them that the least she could do is stun you all, but me and about 5 other zombies came as backup. The human at the corner jokingly said “don’t underestimate me!” which was pretty hilarious to all of us seeing as some of us were by the wall, ready to run at her. It’s must be very scary to be a human in that situation to defend yourself with only socks and a NERF gun. That’s why you travel in groups! After that situation, we found some humans getting ready to leave Hart Hall by the side entrance and we just surrounded the area. They couldn’t stun us and we couldn’t go run at them since they were within 5 feet from the door. So we stalled and had them use up their darts until one of us walked up to be next to them at the door. When one of the humans suggested the other to go get the dart on the floor, he went to get it, stepping outside the 5 foot limit, and the zombie ran up behind to tag him! Oh he was very upset, but it was too funny. They eventually had backup and we zombies had split. The “mission” that night was perfect and imperfect. During the 5 minute briefing of the details of the mission, humans were told they have a mission as usual. When that was done, zombies were to follow a moderator, who then told us that in reality, there is no actual mission tonight and that an ambush is planned behind the campus center. We were excited and couldn’t wait to surprise attack them. However, the moderators had miscommunicated the location of the ambush. And so, once we spotted the humans, we ran up to them and caught them by surprise, but the original plan was to surround them, rather than having them run back the way they traveled. We still managed to tag VIP humans during that fake mission.

Day 5, Friday: The final day! Sadly to say, not many humans were really tagged on this day before the game officially ended. However there was a for fun mission at 6 p.m. where anyone can choose to be a human or zombie if they wanted to. Therefore, I chose to be a human! My zombie friends certainly hated me for it, but it was role play and I had the pleasure of stunning many of them with socks. In the end, many humans were turned, and eventually we came to a death match where humans can finally kill zombies due to the mission objective being that there’s a “bomb exploding” within the mission. So in the end, humans fell more and more, while I kept dodging and hitting zombies when I could. We were left with 4 humans and down to 1 zombie. Humans eventually chased down the zombie and credit goes to Xavier! A human who was tagged on Wednesday’s mission and received an “antidote” by random selection due to the mission being slightly in the zombies favor, thus becoming human again. Those who survived the 6 p.m. mark before the mission are the real winners of the game.

In conclusion, this game was awesome to participate in for charity to Child’s Play. It is $2 to sign up and the game comes by annually, once a year by Halloween week. I’m definitely playing next year as human. I will most likely have a NERF gun for the game in order to push zombies away. I highly recommend every student here at SUNY Oswego to try to participate in this game at least once in their four years here.