Major Changes

Having trouble finding a major that’s right for you? Don’t get too worked up about it, it happens to a lot of students here at Oswego. Personally, I’ve changed my major twice. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been pretty stressful trying to figure out what I really wanted to major in, but the only way to find out what you really want to do is to test out a bunch of alternative options. I came into Oswego as a declared economics major, and after a few weeks, I decided that it definitely wasn’t for me. Looking back at it, I have no clue why I chose that major in the first place–I wasn’t even very interested in the subject to be honest. Needless to say, I changed my major after my first year of college. From economics, I went to Electrical and Computer Engineering. I love computers, so I decided to give it a shot. After a semester of  taking the ECE prerequisites and some core requirements, I found that engineering wasn’t something that I could put my heart into–I just wasn’t into it at all. Just goes to show how you can be interested in something one minute, and then after testing the waters, you decide that it doesn’t suit you at all. From my experience, I gained knowledge of a variety of things, ranging from the Economics of Gender, to Calculus. I also got all of my general education requirements out of the way by sophomore year. After my decision to change my major for the second time, I took a lot of time to really think my next major change through and weigh my options. I finally opted for the Public Justice major here at SUNY Oswego, and I couldn’t be more satisfied so far. It took me almost 2 years to figure out what I wanted to major in, but that’s what college is all about. In order to figure out what you want to achieve, you absolutely need to search for something that you can enjoy doing. It may take a while, but you WILL find something  that interests you. I hope my post here will help those who are unsure of what they would like to major in put themselves out there and take a variety of courses that may point them in the right direction.