Fourth Day of Practicum, Fall ’10

Today went well, and I was very happy that I did not have to go through a metal detector. I started out by punching holes into what had to have been three or four hundred papers for my Host Teacher, but I didn’t really mind that, because it was a good time-passer. Unfortunately, though, I don’t really feel like I have a whole lot to write about this time, because most of what I observed today was students taking something known as the SRI Test. I had no idea what that was at first, but she said that it tests their reading ability. I looked it up, and it stands for Scholastic Reading Inventory. Despite the students having a little bit of trouble following directions, that went pretty well. The Host Teacher was a little more calm with the students than usual. They frequently call her “miss,” even though she repeatedly tell them that they her to call her “Mrs.” and her last name. I didn’t used to be aware of it, but “miss” is often regarded as a sign of disrespect, and my Host Teacher, unlike last semester’s, seems to be aware of that.

The students then engaged in silent reading time. Some of the classes did, anyway. Some of them, due to how long they spent taking the SRI test, did not have time, but my Host Teacher, anyway, seemed pleased overall. Once again, I observed the other teacher’s class, but not because my regular teacher had a meeting. It was because for the block after lunch, she didn’t have a class to teach, but he did. They had been watching a movie called This Boy’s Life. That class is, as far as I know, advanced seniors, but they certainly didn’t act like it. The teacher had to ask one girl to leave because she was using obscene language, and at one point in the film, there was sexual tension between two boys; they almost kissed, and apparently, they were unable to handle that. Despite the “Safe Space” display window in the hallway, they found this to be revolting.

Anyway, I guess that that is out for now. Like I said, I unfortunately don’t have a whole lot to report. The copying room finally got some paper, so that is good news. I was going to go to the Dracula stage production tonight. I was really looking forward to it, but for starters, due to my having gotten up at 6:30 this morning, I was exhausted, and second of all, it was pouring and very cold outside, and Tyler is quite a distance from where I live at Mackin. I lost the $7.00 that I paid for it, which is very unfortunate since I don’t think I will be able to get a refund, but I was just not feeling up to it. I’m sure it was great, too. My point is that I was planning to write about it, so that is regrettable. However, despite my incredibly hectic homework load (my head hurts now, and my body is screaming for my bed, but it will be very late that I actually get in it), I will do my best to look for another opportunity to write.

Hey, I'm Christopher. I am currently a graduate student in the SUNY Oswego English program, and I am also a Desk Attendant in Sheldon Hall (where I am also living). I graduated with two degrees in May 2012 - English and Adolescence Education with a Concentration in English. I substitute-taught in Rome City School District fall 2012 and then came back to school in January 2013 in order to obtain a masters degree in English, which I plan to obtain in May 2014. I love to read, and I love TV shows, especially science-fiction and fantasy.
Email: ccook@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.