Third Day of Practicum (Fall ’10)

This should have been my fourth day of Practicum, but my ride was sick last week and couldn’t go, and I could therefore not go. I contacted my host teacher in advance, so everything was just dandy, because without my ride, I have no way of getting there. Anyway, something must have happened since my last visit. When I got to the school, I had to wait in a very long line of students waiting to go through a metal detector, and that took about ten minutes. This is the first time that we needed to do this. Perhaps, it has to do with whatever happened two weeks ago to initiate the Lockdown.

I once again had the opportunity to observe the other teacher’s class, since my regular host teacher had a meeting to go to. This teacher, for his first class, opened with a grammar mini lesson, and much to my surprise, the students were very responsive. I think that they were AP, so that could have been why. However, even so, it was early on a Friday m0rning, so one probably wouldn’t think that their minds would be very engaged. They answered questions and asked their own. They then did SAT practice together.

Secondly, I observed a class that my regular host teacher taught, and that was ultimately the same as always. Some students paid attention while others slept. The teacher was very upset, because quite a few were late, and she reported one of them because he smelled of marijuana. Then, I observed yet another class taught by the male teacher, and as I have said before, the students really seem to respond well to him. Lastly, I observed one last class taught by my regular host teacher, and the day was over. Overall, everything went pretty smoothly.

My weekend, just as a side note, was great. I don’t remember if I said anything about it before, but this weekend was supposed to be the weekend that I went to Ohio with my significant other, Ray, to go on a ghosthunting expedition. That didn’t end up happening, but to make a long story short, it was our decision not to go. I instead went home and spent the weekend with him, and it was still a great weekend. The main reason that I was looking forward to this trip was spending a weekend with Ray, and I did that, anyway. Also, today, my Adolescence Education professor and advisor, Sharon Kane, said that she spoke to my Host Teacher last week and was told that I am liked, so that made me feel really good. Anyway, I’ll be writing soon. Take care, everyone.

Hey, I'm Christopher. I am currently a graduate student in the SUNY Oswego English program, and I am also a Desk Attendant in Sheldon Hall (where I am also living). I graduated with two degrees in May 2012 - English and Adolescence Education with a Concentration in English. I substitute-taught in Rome City School District fall 2012 and then came back to school in January 2013 in order to obtain a masters degree in English, which I plan to obtain in May 2014. I love to read, and I love TV shows, especially science-fiction and fantasy.
Email: ccook@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.