Beginning a Magazine Internship

Hi, guys! My name is Samantha Shelton and I have just recently moved to New York City for the summer and I couldn’t be more excited! I am participating in the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) 2010 internship program, where I have been assigned to work at Fitness Magazine. Before I delve into the fantastic details about what’s going on in my life now, let me tell you a bit about myself.

I am going to be a senior at Oswego State with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. I have been involved in various clubs and organizations; I simply love being immersed in different activities. I am a public relations student manager and a personal trainer at the Cooper/Glimmerglass Fitness Centers, the Managing Editor at the student-run newspaper, The Oswegonian, and the Education Chair in Colleges Against Cancer. I also actively participate in intramurals. I used to play on the intercollegiate soccer team, but a torn ACL, miniscus and blood disorder have prevented me from making a comeback.

I’m from an extremely small town in upstate New York, also known as Oppenheim. I know, I’m sure you have never heard of it. I don’t take offense; there are more cows in this town than people. However, if you have heard of Herkimer, or Herkimer County Community College, then you’re right near my hometown! Herkimer is about 20 minutes west of Oppenheim.

Ok, so here’s a quick dose of the good stuff: I am interning through ASME, an extremely well-known and prestigious internship program located in New York City. I’m living at NYU and working at FITNESS. So far, I’ve met incredible people throughout the industry, from Editors-in-chief and Managing Editors to Consumer Marketing Executives and Photo Directors. I’ve been given so much advice and information on how to succeed at my internship and break into the industry. I toured the FITNESS offices today and I could not be more excited to begin work on Monday! Working at a magazine has always been my dream and I’m proud to say I’m really starting to live it!