Campus Parking

So there has been a lot of talk on campus about parking issues and how there isn’t adequate parking for commuters. As being a commuter myself, I agree. We get the option to park on the outskirts of campus, if you will and it is our only option until 3 p.m.
The parking fee is not an issue, $118.80 is a decent price compared to other SUNY school parking fees AND freshmen are allowed to have cars. This fee goes toward the officer’s salary so it’s not like it is a useless and overpriced fee.
The real issue here is space and where the spaces are located. Yes, faculty should have designated parking spaces and lots specifically for them. However, as far as students, I feel as though all lots should be fair game: commuter and resident. We are all paying the same price for the parking fee so we should all get a fair chance at parking spaces and shouldn’t be penalized for parking in a resident lot. Most of the students who do live on campus don’t use their cars on a daily basis anyway; they just sit there taking up space. Yes, some students do use their cars daily but others don’t and in most parking lots, a lot of spaces are still open and are open the whole year and commuters still get punished for parking there, with a $20 ticket.
One way to help alleviate this problem would be allowing only sophomore, juniors and seniors the option to have cars on campus. That way it opens up some of the resident lots and that open space could be used for commuter students.
This is my first year as a commuter but I know that the winter is going to be a long walk from the commuter lot to classes. We are on lake Ontario so it’s obvious that there are going to be strong winds and a lot of lake effect snow.
Oswego Snow
Okay, just kidding the snow doesn’t get this bad. But we do get a lot.
There just has to be some solution to this issue or parking. It’s not fair to exclude commuters just because they don’t live on campus.
**This blog is purely opinion and is not meant to degrade SUNY Oswego in anyway shape or form. Every college campus has their issues. I am only expressing my opinion**

I'm a junior Public Relations major with a minor in psychology. I work with the new student orientation programs over the summer and the fall semester as a Laker Leader. I'm a member of the indoor and out door varsity track team. I throw shot put, discus, hammer, weight and javelin. I'm from a very, very little town called Atlanta, New York. It is about 30 minutes south of SUNY Geneseo. I really like art and music. I have quite a creative side and I really enjoy new things!
Email: wetherby@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 thoughts on “Campus Parking

1. Hi. I’m trying to track where the picture of crazy snow came from originally (http://studentblogs.wpengine.com/2009/10/13/campus-parking/).
    I’m building an interactive project on extreme weather for my Master’s thesis project at RIT and would like to use it but cannot legally unless I get permission.

Please let me know if you have any idea of it’s source. Also…is it really Oswego?

Thanks.

Jeff

2. Jeff: Sorry to disappoint you, but that is not a picture of Oswego. It’s a photo Lizz took from an online open source.