More on Hohoe

Hohoe, Ghana

I’m going to Hohoe, but I still don’t know what I’m doing there yet. I have done some research into what’s there, as well as having met a guy from Accra in my French class who knows about Hohoe.

Kwamena is from Ghana, and we spoke briefly in French class. He said Hohoe is more rural than Accra.

But, I’m looking for an EXTREME cultural immersion, so rural – I can do.

One of the most famous tourist destinations of Hohoe is the Wli Waterfalls. “Wli Waterfalls cascades from a height of 60-80 meters, and is the highest falls in West Africa.” (BridgingDevelopment.org) There are two distinct waterfalls at different heights to view. I can’t wait to see these! Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to make it out into the rainforest on my weekends off. The three that I’m there. This area is also basically a HUGE bat sanctuary. Tons of them live there and are being hunted by the community to regulate the population. The waterfalls are in the Agumatsa Wildlife Sanctuary.
The falls are supposed to bring fertility to barren women, and they’re seen as spiritually powerful, according to the Forestry Commission of Ghana.

I hope I can go there!!
Wli Waterfalls

Courtesy of Bobbie Nystrom

So, I go for my yellow fever vaccination on Monday. You have to get them before you can get your visa for Ghana, which I will be getting ASAP. Yellow fever is a virus you can get from infected mosquitoes. The CDC says the “illness ranges in severity from a self-limited febrile illness to severe hepatitis and hemorrhagic fever.” So, it’s kind of a big deal. And it’s really expensive, but luckily I’ve had more funds come in for my trip, from gracious family and church members.

I cannot wait. I’m getting closer and closer. I’m doing more research on cultural aspects, so until next time… Mia doga (goodbye in Ewe)

About the Author

Jr. SUNY Oswego Journalism major Global Studies Minor Environmental activist, cultural advocate, uninhibited dancer, singer, writer, traveler.
Email: kraymond@oswego.edu
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.