Freshman Year Scaries: New School, New Friends?

Freshman year is one of the most amazing times in your life and if you’re lucky enough to experience this opportunity, I am sure you will see this too. Entering college is a huge life change, as many incoming freshman have lived in the same place for 18 years of their life. One thing a lot of incoming freshman are scared about is starting over and making new friends.

I was definitely one of them. Four years ago I left high school with a huge group of friends (10 boys and 10 girls) and it seemed perfect but none of us were going to be in the same place after college. This left me lost and alone but eager for a fresh start. I took advantage of this opportunity knowing I was vulnerable and put myself out there in some of the few ways I recommended below.

For those of you who are incoming freshmen and transfer students, this is what I recommend:

• Utilize the Facebook group chat to find students who have similar interests to yours (this is how I found my freshman year roommate)
  • When you move into your dorm, take the opportunity to get to know your neighbors and other people living in your dorm. I found that the first few floor meetings were an excellent opportunity for this!
  • Try to be as open as you can! There is nothing to be afraid of because everyone is in the same position weather they show it or not.
  • Go to the student involvement fair which takes place the first week of classes!
  • Get involved on campus – this is a great way to meet people all over the SUNY Oswego campus and find something other than academics that interests you.

Most importantly, remember that you are not alone in the process there are thousands of new students attending this fall that have the same nerves you have.