Having Two Names

Hello,

I saw this video and i thought it will be good to add my experience as well as sharing this video. This video is made by Chinese students at Columbia University. Chinese students protest against ‘xenophobia’ which is defined as ‘fear or hatred of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers.’ They explained meaning of their Chinese name.

I usually stay in America from September to May and in Korea from June to August. I live in two countries with two names. My Korean name is Ye jin Lee. Ye Jin is first name, Lee is family name. Ye Jin means ‘Be pretty and honest.’ I have three sisters and their names are Ye Seul(Be pretty and wise), Ye Hyeon(Be pretty and sensible) and Ye Ji(Be pretty and intelligent). Like this, Korean name have their own meaning like Chinese. Their names are made by their parents or grandparents.

I also have American name Kelly. When i introduce my American name, people ask me how i picked this name. Honestly, there is not a specific reason. When i was 6 years old, in English language school, i had to make an American name. There was a list of the name and i just picked Kelly. I’ve been Kelly for a long time, which means i get used to be called Kelly. That’s why i keep using my American name in here.

Another frequent question is “why do you use American name, even though you have Korean name?” Personally, I think “Name” is for the other people not for me. Although there is a meaning of my name, it really doesn’t mean to me. Definitely, i try my best to be pretty and honest, because that’s what i think important, not because of my name. I think i am the one who makes meaning of my name. Name does not make who i am. Regardless of my name, i just want to be memorable and easy to be called. It is easier to use American name in America. Just i want to make my life easy. It does not mean i do not like my name, just i don’t put my name at the first place.

Enjoy your spring break!!